Guest blog posting by my “partner in crime,” Kevin C…
This past Saturday I did my long run of 8 miles and I was ready to make Running a friendship bracelet. I then ran 5 miles the other day and I felt like the Running Devil was breathing down my neck. Truth be told, I am actually enjoying my Marathon training. My first few runs left me feeling out of breath and out of touch with my toes. But you know what, practice does indeed make perfect. Each time I go out, good or bad, I can feel myself getting stronger. So, maybe I don’t hate running, but I don’t know if we’re ready to go steady just yet.
Thankfully, I have some great tools in place that make running bearable and borderline enjoyable. Here they are:
Kevin’s Best Friend While Running: Ms. Nike
I am head-over-heels for the Nike+ GPS app that I downloaded for FREE on my iPhone. This app is great because it tells me what to do. The nice lady cheers me on and provides verbal mile markers and pace numbers. The built in GPS serves as my digital breadcrumb trail should I get lost. And, it works with iTunes to give me a great music mix! Oh, it also links with Facebook and Twitter and my followers can literally cheer me on while I run. I “like” that!
Kevin’s Mandatory Music
I NEED music to keep my mind occupied. Maybe that says something about me. Anyway…my playlist that filters through my Nike+ GPS app has recently showcased:
- girl talk “Feed the Animals” – Imagine tossing all genres of music into a blender and spreading over a nice base of hip-hop. These tracks are perfect for those moments when I don’t want to listen to an entire song.
- Marc Broussard “Carencro” – Marc is one of my favorite artists. I am a sucker for southern-fried soul and Marc fits the bill. Tracks like “Rocksteady” and “Home” always do right by me.
- JJ Grey and Mofro “Orange Blossoms” – If Broussard is one of my favorite artists, then JJ Grey and Mofro is my favorite band. I tell you what, I love me some gritty southern blues. The title track and “On Fire” are the bees knees.
- Rhymefest “Blue Collar” – Chicago’s very own recently made a political run for Alderman. He missed the mark on that one, but nailed a bull’s-eye with this album. “Fever” and “Dynomite” always help me with those last few blocks.
- Garth Brooks “Ultimate Hits” – If you ever need an overdose of Garth, this is the 3-disc set for you! Why I like it? Simply because I know all of the words to each song and my singing keeps the mosquitoes away from me.
Kevin’s BOOST Songs
The other great feature of my Nike+ GPS app is that is has a “Boost” button that allows you to play pre-selected songs when you need an extra kick in the shorts. Here are my Top 5 “Boost” tracks:
- Lil Wayne “6 Foot 7 Foot” – Yeah, this isn’t Mozart but the beat moves my feet.
- Chris Brown “Look at Me Now” – Okay, so Lil Wayne makes a guest appearance. And so does Busta. Most importantly…the beat moves my feet.
- Swizz Beatz “Everyday (Coolin’) – Again…the beat moves my feet.
- The Fratellis “Chelsea Dagger” – I am a Blackhawks fan so this song was a given.
- Kayne West “Power” – Yet again with the beat. Maybe I just need to invest in instrumental hip-hop tracks.
It’s gotta be the shoes
The Naperville Running Co. set me up with a perfect pair of Nike Fitsole 2’s. I have always bought by shoes off the rack. From now on I will yield to the professionals! Proper shoes really do make all of the difference. It’s like I am running on clouds, well until I step on a rock, but for the most part…fluffy clouds.
Okay, with all of that being said…maybe I do love running. – Kevin C.